A leaky faucet is an annoyance for most homeowners. However, water leaks are capable of producing much more than a little puddle. These moist environments provide the perfect breeding ground for mold spores, which can cause allergies and other health issues. And if you don’t notice the leak right away, it can get really out of hand in climates that are very humid. However, understanding the risks of mold and quickly fixing water leaks can protect your health and home from mold spores.

How Mold Grows
After time, water leaks can start to cause mold in moist areas. First, spores will begin to form, which will then turn into mold. There isn’t any type of surface that’s resistant to mold. These spores can grow on wood, tile, paint, carpet and sheetrock. In areas of the country where humidity is high, a leaky faucet can quickly turn into a mold issue, because of the high moisture in the air.

Mold and Your Health
Although most types of mold are harmless, individuals with allergies can be more susceptible to health issues including coughing, runny noise and issues with breathing. In addition, there are types of mold that are very toxic, even to those without allergies.

Signs of Mold from Water Leaks
The most frequent signs of mold are small white and black spots in the leakage area. Areas of the home that are high risk include basements and kitchens. These areas are prone to leaky faucets, making proper faucet maintenance important.

Fixing Water Leaks
If you have a water leak, be sure to fix it quickly to minimize the growth of mold spores. After fixing the leak, wash the affected area with a mild detergent and allow the area to dry thoroughly. Then, wash the area with bleach to kill all mold sources. You can also use boric acid, which is effective in killing this substance. And don’t forget to keep children and pets away from the area.

For more information click here – EnlightenMe.

Share This

Share This

Share this post with your friends!